Sirena Tuna and Potato Bonda
Famous for its crispy outer and delicious stuffing, our tuna take on the potato bonda is best served with a spiced yoghurt dipping sauce and plenty of coriander.
- Prep:30 Min
- Cook:10 Min
- Yields:4 Servings
Tuna and Potato Mixture
Oil to Fry
- Combine the yoghurt, coriander chutney, fresh herbs and a squeeze of juice from half a lemon. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the coconut oil and then add the onion, mustard seeds and asafoetida. Fry gently over a medium heat until the seeds begin to splutter. Add the pepper, ginger, green chillies, turmeric and cook gently until the onions soften. About 2-3 minutes.
- Break up the potatoes with your hands and add the broken potatoes and salt to the onion and spice mix. Combine well.
- Gently flake the tuna and mix well, but don’t turn it into mash. Form into golf size 'Bonda' and set aside.
- To make the batter, combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add the water slowly and mix well.
- Heat the oil to 175-180C.
- One by one, dip the potato tuna balls into the batter and fry a few at a time in the hot oil until golden brown. This will take 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve immediately with fresh coriander, coriander yoghurt and lemon/lime on the side.